10:02am

Fri May 17, 2013
Legal

Court Battle over for Relatives of Lofgren Family

 

The Lofgren family of Denver died in 2008 when deadly carbon monoxide leaked into the Aspen vacation home they were staying in.
Credit Willian Hansen

A long running civil lawsuit filed by relatives of a family who died of carbon monoxide poisoning at an Aspen vacation home has been resolved. In 2008, Parker and Caroline Lofgren and their young children Owen and Sophie died at a home east of town. Since then, relatives, including the kids’ grandparents, have been in and out of the courtroom. Aspen Public Radio's Marci Krivonen reports.

They sued several parties involved with building and maintaining the home. William Hansen is the family’s attorney.

"There was the owner/developer of the property, there was the general contractor that he had hired, and then the general contractor had hired a number of subcontractors to work under him.” 

The manufacturer of the boiler in the home was also named in the lawsuit, along with subcontractors who did ongoing maintenance on the home.  The parties settled in court and the trial scheduled for this month will not go forward. Hansen won’t give details about the settlements, but says all parties agreed the terms were fair and reasonable. He says the resolution gives the family some closure. "Despite the case not going to trial, I think that their goals were met to find out what had happened, who was responsible for this calamity, and holding them accountable, while recognizing and honoring the Lofgren family who died," Hansen says. The deaths were blamed on the boiler in the home, which was meant to heat the driveway and water. A disconnected pipe or vent allowed carbon monoxide to escape into the $9 million house. There was no carbon monoxide detector in the house, even though a county ordinance required one.