KAJX

Father and son die of carbon monoxide poisoning

Jul 27, 2015

The Pitkin County Coroner’s office has ruled that the father and son camping in the Maroon Wilderness area earlier this month died of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Colorado Springs residents Jeffery Beard, 41, and his son, Cameron Beard, 13, were camping above Crater Lake with two other children in the family.

The circumstance of the death was the use of a camp stove in an 
enclosed space of a tent. Authorities first suspected lightning as the cause because of a burn on one of the deceased's body. That was likely a result of the stove.